If you enjoy seafood, it’s a good idea to eat two servings of fish per week when you’re in chemotherapy. That’s because it provides protein and omega-3 fatty acids ( 27 ). Omega-3s are important fats that you must get through your diet.
Can I eat shrimp during chemo?
You may be instructed to avoid certain foods, such as raw fish, raw shellfish, unwashed fruit, raw milk, and raw egg products, while you’re receiving chemotherapy.
What foods should be avoided during chemotherapy?
Foods to avoid (especially for patients during and after chemo):
- Hot, spicy foods (i.e. hot pepper, curry, Cajun spice mix).
- Fatty, greasy or fried foods.
- Very sweet, sugary foods.
- Large meals.
- Foods with strong smells (foods that are warm tend to smell stronger).
- Eating or drinking quickly.
Can chemo patients eat spicy food?
Some types of chemotherapy can cause mouth sores, also known as oral mucositis. To encourage healing, avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and hot temperature foods. Keep your mouth moist by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day. Rinsing your mouth with salt water after meals may also be helpful.
Why can’t chemo patients have ice?
Some types of chemotherapy can damage nerves, leading to a side effect called peripheral neuropathy. Patients may feel tingling, burning or numbness in the hands and feet. Other times, patients may experience an extreme sensitivity to cold known as cold dysesthesia.
What are the best foods to eat while on chemotherapy?
Here are 10 foods to eat during chemotherapy.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal provides numerous nutrients that can help your body during chemo. …
- Avocado. …
- Eggs. …
- Broth. …
- Almonds and other nuts. …
- Pumpkin seeds. …
- Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. …
- Homemade smoothies.
What should I eat the night before chemo?
What do I eat before going to chemotherapy?
- Plain or Fruited yogurt.
- Fresh fruit and cottage cheese.
- Poached egg and toast.
- Toasted bagel with a small amount of peanut butter.
- Cereal and milk (try Lactaid® milk, or Soy milk, if lactose intolerant)
- Chicken rice soup with saltine crackers.
What are good snacks for chemo patients?
Some quick-and-easy snacks
- Cereal (hot or cold)
- Cheese (aged or hard cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and more)
- Dips made with cheese, beans, yogurt, or peanut butter.
- Fruit (fresh, frozen, canned, dried)
- Gelatin made with juice, milk, or fruit.
- Granola or trail mix.
Can I drink coffee during chemo?
Avoid caffeine as it acts as a diuretic and draws water out of your cells, causing you to urinate more fluid than you are consuming. Stay away from strong smelling foods to avoid aggravating any disorders of taste.
Can you eat chocolate while on chemotherapy?
The American Cancer Society recommends a high-quality dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa. The most advantageous way to eat dark chocolate without any added ingredients such as caramel, peanut butter, marshmallow, etc.
Can chemo patients eat salads?
Do not eat from high-risk food sources, including salad bars, delicatessens, buffets and smorgasbords, potlucks, and sidewalk vendors. Do not eat raw fruits and vegetables . Ask for pasteurized fruit juices.