Cancer may also be called malignancy, a malignant tumor, or a neoplasm (literally, a new growth).
What is cancer in scientific terms?
(KAN-ser) A term for diseases in which abnormal cells divide without control and can invade nearby tissues. Cancer cells can also spread to other parts of the body through the blood and lymph systems.
What is another name for cancer?
Malignancy is another word for cancer.
What are 4 types of cancer?
Four main types of cancer are:
- Carcinomas. A carcinoma begins in the skin or the tissue that covers the surface of internal organs and glands. …
- Sarcomas. A sarcoma begins in the tissues that support and connect the body. …
- Leukemias. Leukemia is a cancer of the blood. …
What is cancer in simple words?
Cancer is a disease caused when cells divide uncontrollably and spread into surrounding tissues. Cancer is caused by changes to DNA. Most cancer-causing DNA changes occur in sections of DNA called genes. These changes are also called genetic changes.
Why is July called cancer?
The word cancer means “crab” in Latin. When you look up at the sky to find the constellation, you will only see an upside down “Y”, however, it is said to symbolize a crab, hence the name.
What are the 10 most common types of cancer?
The Top 10 Cancers of America
- 1 – Skin cancer.
- 2 – Lung cancer.
- 3 – Prostate cancer.
- 4 – Breast cancer.
- 5 – Colorectal cancer.
- 6 – Kidney (renal) cancer.
- 7 – Bladder cancer.
- 8 – Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Can cancer be cured?
Treatment. There are no cures for any kinds of cancer, but there are treatments that may cure you. Many people are treated for cancer, live out the rest of their life, and die of other causes. Many others are treated for cancer and still die from it, although treatment may give them more time: even years or decades.
What are the five stages of cancer?
- Stage 0 means there’s no cancer, only abnormal cells with the potential to become cancer. …
- Stage I means the cancer is small and only in one area. …
- Stage II and III mean the cancer is larger and has grown into nearby tissues or lymph nodes.
- Stage IV means the cancer has spread to other parts of your body.
What personality is a cancer?
Cancers have a reputation for being hyper emotional, temperamental, and spiteful. Cancers, in additional to being devoted, are extremely fond of their loved ones, often to an unhealthy degree. They place a high value on family and close friends, and will go to great lengths to defend them, no matter the price.
What cancer does to body?
Cancer can press on nearby nerves and cause pain and loss of function of one part of your body. Cancer that involves the brain can cause headaches and stroke-like signs and symptoms, such as weakness on one side of your body. Unusual immune system reactions to cancer.
What are 3 facts about cancer?
Key Cancer Facts
- 10 million people die from cancer every year.
- At least one third of common cancers are preventable.
- Cancer is the second-leading cause of death worldwide.
- 70% of cancer deaths occur in low-to-middle income countries.